Ammonia is a strong, colorless gas. If the gas is dissolved in water, it is called liquid ammonia. Poisoning may occur if you breathe in ammonia. Poisoning may also occur if you swallow or touch products that contain very large amounts of ammonia.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Airways, lungs, and chest
- Chest pain (severe)
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty breathing
- Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and throat
- Tearing and burning of eyes
- Temporary blindness
- Throat pain (severe)
- Mouth pain
- Lip swelling
- Heart and blood
- Rapid, weak pulse
- Collapse and shock
- Nervous system
- Altered mental state
- Bluish-colored lips and fingernails
- Severe burns if contact is longer than a few minutes
- Stomach and gastrointestinal tract
- Severe stomach pain
Damage is related to the amount and strength (concentration) of the ammonia. Most household cleaners are relatively weak and cause little or mild damage. Industrial strength cleaners can cause severe burns and injury.
Survival past 48 hours usually indicates recovery will occur. Chemical burns that occurred in the eye frequently heal; however, permanent blindness may result.