Automatic dishwasher soap poisoning
Automatic dishwasher soap poisoning refers to illness that occurs when you swallow soap used in automatic dishwashers or when the soap contacts the face.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Severe pain in the throat
- Severe pain or burning in the nose, eyes, ears, lips, or tongue
- Loss of vision
- Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
- Heart and blood circulation
- Low blood pressure -- develops rapidly
- Severe change in blood acid levels, which can lead to organ damage
- Breathing difficulty (from inhalation)
- Necrosis (tissue death) in the skin or underlying tissues
- Stomach and intestines
- Severe abdominal pain
- Vomiting, may be bloody
- Burns of the esophagus (food pipe)
- Blood in the stool
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Swallowing such poisons can have severe effects on many parts of the body. Damage can continue to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the product is swallowed. Death may occur up to a month after the poisoning.