Health Conditions

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z



Aftershave is a lotion, gel, or liquid applied to the face after shaving. It is often used by men. This article discusses the harmful effects from swallowing aftershave products.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.


Symptoms may include:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Coma
  • Low blood pressure
  • Slowed breathing
  • Slurred speech
  • Stupor
  • Unable to walk in a normal manner
  • Vomiting (may contain blood)

Isopropanol may also caused the following additional symptoms:

  • Dizziness
  • Unresponsive reflexes
  • Uncoordinated movement


Aftershave poisoning usually occurs in small children. It may also occur in persons with alcoholism, who may drink the product when other alcohol runs out.

The outcome depends on how much is swallowed. This poisoning is not usually deadly. Survival over 24 hours usually means the patient will recover.