Health Conditions

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z



Aloe is an extract from the aloe plant that is used in many skincare products. Aloe poisoning occurs when someone swallows this substance.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.


  • Breathing difficulty (from breathing in the substance)
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of vision
  • Rash
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Skin irritation
  • Throat swelling (which may also cause breathing difficulty)
  • Vomiting


How well you do depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment is received. The faster you get medical help, the better the chance for recovery.

Aloe is relatively nonpoisonous. However, if you eat it, you will likely have diarrhea. In rare cases, it can cause you to have an allergic reaction.

Likely you will not need any treatment. However, allergic reactions can be dangerous, so get treatment if you have any symptoms of an allergic reaction.